Ask a leadership coach
Ask a leadership coach
Ask a leadership expert:
Tips to Boost Your Confidence as a Leader
Tips to Boost Your Confidence as a Leader by Jenn DeWall Confidence and Leadership Coach & Keynote Speaker & Trainer.
One of the biggest challenges for new leaders is feeling confident in their own abilities. If you are in a new leadership position and feel uncertain, you are not alone! Even the most experienced managers feel insecure from time to time. In my work as a coach, I help my clients learn to boost their confidence in themselves and their leadership skills. Confidence is like a muscle; it will get stronger the more you flex it! So, here are some of 5 tips to boost your confidence as a leader:
1. Reflect on your accomplishments, big and small! Researchers have found that negative events have a greater impact on our brains than positive ones. We recall these bad events much more clearly than times when things went perfectly. The good news is that we can choose to ignore that negative bias. It just takes some practice! One of the best things you can do to boost your confidence as a leader is to take time to consciously focus on the positive. Make a list of things you’ve done that you are proud of, skills you have acquired, and qualities you like about yourself. Take time to read that list each day to practice focusing on the positive! You already have what it takes to be a leader. You just have to believe it!
2. Choose a role model. Choose a leader you truly admire and reflect on why that is. What qualities does that person have? What qualities do you share with this person? Are there qualities they have that you still need to develop? Think about how you can strengthen those qualities in yourself. Having a positive role model can motivate you to reach your full potential as a leader.
3. Learn more about leadership. There are so many great ways to learn more about leadership. Try reading books about leadership— some of my favorite leadership authors are Brené Brown, Simon Sinek, and Steve Farber, just to name a few! There are also great podcasts to follow, Ted Talks available online, and lots of other ways to immerse yourself in advice from experts to boost your confidence as a leader.
4. Look to your network. Take a look at your professional network, and think about who might be a good resource for growing your leadership skills. Is there a professional organization you can join to spend more time with like-minded leaders? But don’t only look for people that can help you—think about who you could help! Are there aspiring leaders you could be a mentor to? Helping others is a great way to boost your confidence while making the world a better place!
5. Consider working with a career coach. If you are new to leadership, a career coach may be the best way to boost your confidence as a leader, shift your mindset, and grow as a person. Having a coach to help you bring a fresh perspective when you feel insecure. Working with a coach can help you improve your confidence, set goals and be held accountable for them, and align with your life purpose to find success. If you are curious about how coaching can help you boost your confidence, feel free to reach out for a 30-minute complimentary session!
Jenn DeWall is a leadership and career coach, leadership keynote speaker, facilitator, trainer, and podcast host. Jenn is a Millennial leadership expert based in Denver, CO.